While waiting for the aluminum to arrive, I decided I would splice in the AEM CDI wiring harness. The power and ground connections were prettysimple and went fairly quickly. As previously mentioned I need 4 seperate coil outputs for this whole DIS system to work. Obviously the stock computer had 1 coil output which was easy to find. The remaining 3 coil outputs on the AEM are positioned in pin locations which on the stock computer are listed as N/C (no connection). Therefore I needed to open the EFI harness connector so I could move some pins around. I ended up removing 3 pins which were originally used for A/C and moved them into the 3 remaining coil pin outputs on the AEM. Now I have all 4 coil outputs in the EFI connector pointed to the correct pins on the AEM. Next I cut all 4 wires and soldered them to the 4 input wires of the CDI harness. I then removed the original coil wire and coil connector (it would be REALLY hard to turn back now). As for the CDI outputs I will leave those alone until I finish the coil mount. I will mount the CDI box somewhere under the dash near the injector driver box (havent picked a final position just yet).

After the aluminum arrived I began my mount design. It arrived as a large 12″ x 12″ plate of 3/8″ thick 6061 T6 alloy (which will look perfect when I get it anodized black to match the car). First I will have to cut it down to size to fit all 4 coils. This works out roughly to about 3-1/2″ x 9″ and leaves room between coils for cooling purposes. The basic layout will look similair to the Electromotive coil packs I mentioned a long time ago: rectangular aluminum mount with coils directly on the surface and wiring hidden underneath. I will also drill a hole in each corner to mount it to the car through rubber feet. The reason for this is because I’m leaning more towards putting it on the firewall. Mainly because I dont like the look of the coils in the front (very cluttered in my opinion).

Now, as for the coil inputs, they are located on the bottom of the coil. I will need to drill holes in the plate to pass the wiring through. At first I was a little worried about how I would make the connection and keep it waterproof. Luckily each coil comes with its own rubber insulator (which resembles a weatherpack connector) for a watertight seal. I will just have to do some milling to remove material in the plate to keep the insulator compressed and the coil flat.

Because I accidentally deleted the pics off of my camera I dont have anything to show what Im talking about. Im 100% sure I will eventually be tearing it apart to anodize the aluminum plate so when I do that I will update this section with the photos.