Archive for July, 2006

New valve covers

Well, for as much time and money as I have spent on the fabricated aluminum valve covers (as you may recall I had them anodized black) I finally decided to just remove them from the engine. My number one reason for doing this was clearance. They were too tall to fit next to the Tial wastegates so they had to go! I could have taken them to get the anodizing stripped and then taken it to an aluminum welder and have them clearanced to fit, then taken them back to the anodizer, but that would cost too much time and money to screw with. Instead I bought a set of standard height SBF TrickFlow valve covers from Summit Racing for $103 (Part # 51411801). They come already powdercoated black and without holes for the breather. This will allow me to custom locate a place for the -8AN weld bungs for the breather line.

EDIT: Below is a picture taken a few months after this log entry was created. It shows how well the valve covers look in the engine compartment:

Building the coil mount

While waiting for the aluminum to arrive, I decided I would splice in the AEM CDI wiring harness. The power and ground connections were prettysimple and went fairly quickly. As previously mentioned I need 4 seperate coil outputs for this whole DIS system to work. Obviously the stock computer had 1 coil output which was easy to find. The remaining 3 coil outputs on the AEM are positioned in pin locations which on the stock computer are listed as N/C (no connection). Therefore I needed to open the EFI harness connector so I could move some pins around. I ended up removing 3 pins which were originally used for A/C and moved them into the 3 remaining coil pin outputs on the AEM. Now I have all 4 coil outputs in the EFI connector pointed to the correct pins on the AEM. Next I cut all 4 wires and soldered them to the 4 input wires of the CDI harness. I then removed the original coil wire and coil connector (it would be REALLY hard to turn back now). As for the CDI outputs I will leave those alone until I finish the coil mount. I will mount the CDI box somewhere under the dash near the injector driver box (havent picked a final position just yet).

After the aluminum arrived I began my mount design. It arrived as a large 12″ x 12″ plate of 3/8″ thick 6061 T6 alloy (which will look perfect when I get it anodized black to match the car). First I will have to cut it down to size to fit all 4 coils. This works out roughly to about 3-1/2″ x 9″ and leaves room between coils for cooling purposes. The basic layout will look similair to the Electromotive coil packs I mentioned a long time ago: rectangular aluminum mount with coils directly on the surface and wiring hidden underneath. I will also drill a hole in each corner to mount it to the car through rubber feet. The reason for this is because I’m leaning more towards putting it on the firewall. Mainly because I dont like the look of the coils in the front (very cluttered in my opinion).

Now, as for the coil inputs, they are located on the bottom of the coil. I will need to drill holes in the plate to pass the wiring through. At first I was a little worried about how I would make the connection and keep it waterproof. Luckily each coil comes with its own rubber insulator (which resembles a weatherpack connector) for a watertight seal. I will just have to do some milling to remove material in the plate to keep the insulator compressed and the coil flat.

Because I accidentally deleted the pics off of my camera I dont have anything to show what Im talking about. Im 100% sure I will eventually be tearing it apart to anodize the aluminum plate so when I do that I will update this section with the photos.

Return top